Monday, December 3, 2012

Winning Music

We needed an ending music for when the player actually reaches the end of the level.  Not very exciting if they beat the level and nothing really happens, right?  It's been shown that sound enhances emotional reaction to visuals by 30%!  So, we need something!  So, I sat down at my desktop and opened my music program, Fruity Loops.  I sat there for what seemed like FOREVER just staring at my screen and messing with sounds.  My brain was not thinking of anything.  I already needed a break; a research break.  I started listening to other victory themes from games and asked questions to myself about them.  How long are they?  Do they portray their game well and fit in with the game's theme?  What instruments are being used?



Then I started thinking about my game theme.  Chinese.  I am using Chinese sounds, what could I do with that?  I then looked up music from Kung Fu Panda.  John Powell and Hans Zimmer really bring out the Chinese and western instruments in the Kung Fu Panda series. They also do a wonderful job of bringing out the "epicness", so to speak, about the Panda being a hero and the awe-inspiring ways of martial arts.
At 44 seconds within the video below is an excellent example of this "epicness" I speak of.






After the research I went back into Fruity Loops and listened to what Chinese-like instrument samples I had and just started composing. It was hard. I'm usually pretty good at sitting down and getting a fairly good piece of music out, but this time I struggled. I did end up with a song that mixes in elements of both John Powell and Hans Zimmer not just from Kung Fu Panda, bust also from the movie Madagascar.

Overall, this isn't my best work. I did write it to loop, but I feel like there's too much going on in it. It needs a lot of touch ups or what I might to is completely compose a new piece. It works for now. It's at least something for the end. I'm not saying it's horrible, but I know I can work on it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment