Saturday, September 15, 2012

Learning More About Time Management

I've made three tracks so far for our game that we can recycle throughout the game.  Yay for modular design!  However, I want to mention what happened with the first two tracks and what I learned.  It took me about 30 minutes to get the basic design for the ground and modeled out.  Then it took me hours, HOURS, trying to figure out texturing.  When it came for my stuff to be due, I had the geometry, but texturing was just so-so and not final.  I finally realized I shouldn't have put so much effort into the textures, as I can do that a bit later.  The programmers need the geometry as soon as possible so they can test it out.  With those hours spent on textures, I could have made more tracks and other things to populate our world.  With every game I've made I learned that it's all about timing and getting things out fast (yet efficient) to meet the deadlines.  So, I will henceforth create our geometry and put my basic textures on it and send it to the engineers ASAP.  I can worry about final textures later.


Then, we realized something.  It would be easier to create the geometry around the tracks in Unity, then place a paper texture on it.  It makes it easier for us artists and the engineers.



On a side note, I've started another blog for my Art III class!  Check it out! :D  www.sketchz.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment