Monday, September 3, 2012

Researching

Since I am now the environmental artist, I've been researching what I should do with my world and not just physically, but mentally as well.  What feeling am I trying to get across?  What colors should I use?  Our game is for that casual gaming family, so I don't want super harsh and dark colors.  I want bright and light and something inviting.  Now, should I make my dominant colors be reds and yellows since that color scheme is something you'd see in China?  This game IS based off a Chinese legend. Should there always bee an environmental landmark somewhere?  For example, maybe the player can constantly see the Jade Palace off in front of them so they know what they're running to. *sigh*  So many things to consider.  At least I know we are making our environment out of 3D tiles that the programmers will procedurally generate.  I have already gotten with one programmer to help me sort out measurements of the world I will create so we know we're on the same page when they program.

I googled 'paper worlds' and 'worlds made of paper' and got some interesting results. I found out Media Molecule is creating a paper-craft game for the PlayStation Vita.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6_QvdxyXQ  It looks really cool and it gives me hope, actually.  If they can pull off a paper-look with simple blocks and textures, well why can't we?  I just need to keep on trying!

Among that I found some other pictures to help me think about my paper world.







No comments:

Post a Comment